Are you studying at another institution and want to join the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (KABK) for one or two semesters?

The KABK cooperates with art academies inside and outside the European Union. Even if you are studying at a programme that is not a partner of the KABK, you may be eligible for a temporary period of study at the KABK (so-called free movers).

An exchange with the KABK usually takes place in the second or third year of the bachelor programme. The length of the stay varies from one semester to a whole academic year.

Find out below how to apply for an exchange period in one of our Bachelor programmes.


Erasmus Code


Language of instruction


Duration of exchange

1 semester or 1 year

1st Semester


2nd Semester


Application deadlines

1 May (1st Semester)
10 October (2nd Semester)

“The KABK is a really good school if you want to do a lot of research and develop your personal interests. You can try to find yourself.”
Exchange student Interior Architecture & Furniture Design

Erasmus/Non-Erasmus incoming exchange students

An exchange student is a student from one of the partner institutions of the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (KABK). The partner institution can be an Erasmus partner or a non-Erasmus partner. Students on an exchange programme usually come for a semester or one year. They do not graduate from the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague.

Free movers/visiting students

International students who are interested in studying at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague but are not from one of our partner institutes are considered 'free movers'. All students under this category will have to pay tuition fees for the duration of their stay (one semester or one year) based on the institutional fee, regardless of their nationality.

Admission requirements

Admission is largely based on the portfolio and artistic quality. An interview with the student may be held if deemed necessary. Interior Architecture and Furniture Design students require to fill in an extra questionnaire.

Please note that acceptance into the 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of study at the Royal Academy of Art depends on the work presented and the level of the student as judged by the admissions committee.

All international students are expected to have a good level of English: IELTS Academic test 6, TOEFL 80 (internet-based test) or TOEFL 550 (paper-based test), to follow the courses. A certificate of level of English is not required for the exchange application.

Start your application here as an incoming exchange student