Information for students coming to study at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague. What you need to arrange:

Residence permit

Non-EU/EEA students need an entree visa and/or residence permit to stay and study in the Netherlands. The Royal Academy of Art will apply for your entree visa and/or residence permit after you have been officially admitted to one of our study programmes. Find more information about the procedure and the documents you need to provide for your entree visa and/or residence permit.

After your graduation
As a non-EU/EEA national, you have the option of extending your stay in The Netherlands after your graduation, by applying for an Orientation year residence permit (zoekjaar) for the purpose of work. You can find related information, eligibility criteria, and what applies to your situation on the websites of IND and Nuffic.


We advise you to start looking for a place to stay as soon as possible. We can provide you with links to housing providers and online platforms where you can find tips and information about housing in The Hague.


Students who come to study in the Netherlands are obliged by the Dutch law to have a Health insurance plan. Students at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (KABK) need to also have Liability insurance. Find out what you need to do in order to arrange your Health and Liability insurance.

Bank account

How to open a Dutch bank account? Find information here


Since digital and online education is part of the curriculum at the KABK, students are required to have access to a computer. Depending on the brand/type, this must have a recent operating system (for example, Windows 10 version 1709 or higher, macOS 10.13.6 or higher), a reasonable processor (for example, i5 or higher), and a minimum of 256 GB of SSD storage and 8 GB of internal memory.

Depending on the course, additional requirements may apply. All KABK students have an account that allows them to use Office 365 products. Please visit and log in with your account details. For advantageous offers for various computers or software, the education sector in the Netherlands has its own webshop, SURF. You can view this webshop by using your account details at



You can contact the Student Administration Office via e-mail at and/or Exchange students can contact us at

Links & downloads