It is not possible to arrange a student visa yourself!

The student administration will inform you about the necessary requirements to arrange a VISA.

All international bachelor, master and exchange students requiring a visa or residence permit will be contacted by the student administration and will be assisted with the visa procedure as soon as they have been accepted and submitted all the required documents and payments to the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (KABK).

The visa application fee is €174-, euros in 2020. In addition, to the visa application fee, you also need to transfer the living fee (€10.800-, euros) and your tuition fee (€7.500-, euros) to the academy.

  • First, you will need to submit all required documents and payments to the academy.
  • The student administration will send your visa application to the IND (the Dutch Immigration Service).
  • The IND may take up to six weeks to process your application. We will inform you by email when the IND has approved your visa application.
  • You will be requested to contact the Dutch Embassy in your home country or the country of continuous residence to pick up your visa.
  • An entry visa is valid for only 90 days and should be followed by a residence permit for a longer period of time.

Please note it might take time to get an appointment at the embassy.

The IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service) is the national office that handles all visa and residence permit applications and extensions in the Netherlands.

The student administration will contact the IND on behalf of the student to arrange all visa applications. By Dutch law, students are not allowed to apply for a permit themselves. You can find more information on their website and on

When you are accepted to the KABK you will receive an email from the student administration detailing the steps that need to be taken.

As soon as we have received all required information, we will start your visa application at the IND.

Please note that we cannot start the visa application any sooner than three months before the start of your study programme.

You do not need to apply for your residence permit yourself.
The Student Administration will apply for your residence permit, which you will receive soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.

Students who do not need an entry visa, but a residence permit are students coming from Australia, South Korea, USA, Japan, Canada or New Zealand.

We advise you not to book your ticket if you do not have your entry visa.

No, EU nationals do not need a residence permit in order to study at the KABK.

A residence permit for non-EU/EEA candidates of the Preparatory Year cannot be arranged by the KABK.

A residence permit for part-time students cannot be arranged by the KABK.