As part of the application and selection procedure for the ArtScience master’s programme we ask you demonstrate the quality of your previous artistic work and develop a research proposal for the two-year programme. Since the programme is taught in English we expect you to sufficiently master spoken and written English comparable to IELTS level 6 or internet based TOEFL 83. Only candidates with a bachelor’s degree in the arts or sciences can apply.
- What is needed (application requirements)
- How to apply (application procedure)
- When to apply (important dates)
In order to be selected for the entrance examination we ask you to send us the following material
please note that all written material should be in either Dutch or English
In the letter of motivation we want you to give an overview of your current artistic activities and to describe your vision for the future. We ask you to:
- describe your artistic past; explain your motivation behind getting involved in the arts; illustrate your artistic development and explain the choices you have made so far
- describe the artistic disciplines you have been involved or interested in so far
- describe the main topics you are interested in concerning art, science and culture and explain the reasons for your interest. Illustrate your description by using a selection of works and concepts of others and a selection of your own works
- explain why you want to study ArtScience
- give an outline of what you hope to achieve during your studies at the ArtScience Interfaculty
- give a description of how you think you will be able to contribute to the learning environment at the Interfaculty
- describe what you imagine yourself doing after finishing your study
- indicate questions you might have regarding your choice to study at the ArtScience Interfaculty
In your research proposal we ask you to propose and describe a research project that you will execute during the two-year master study. You have to indicate how the proposal relates to your artistic past and indicate how doing this research would change your artistic future. You are free to choose a text format that suits your proposal and background, but it should be between 2 and 4 pages A4 of text long. Your research proposal should cover all of the following points:
- A clear description of your research topic and the fields this topic relates to
- Explanation of your motivation for choosing this research topic. How does the research relate to your artistic past? How do you think doing this research will transform your work?
- An indication how your research topic is related to the ArtScience curriculum
- A first choice for two ArtScience teachers from our permanent staff who could coach you in your research. You can look at the Faculty Biographies on the website(link)
- A description with sketches of two concrete art projects you would like to realise as part of this research proposal
- An indication of the materials and facilities you will need for your research
- An outline of what you hope to achieve with your research proposal;
This should cover:
- your full name, current address, phone number and email address
- your nationality, date and place of birth
- your previous education
- your artistic past (see also portfolio, below)
- your musical skills (including instruments played)
- your mastered techniques
- your work experience
- your language skills
Your portfolio should give of a good overview of your past artworks and/or artistic activities. We’re interested in all art forms and media (including music, visual art, interdisciplinary art, media art, theater, film, etc). While the documentation should include copies and/or documentation of your works we also expect you to write short texts describing the individual works, illustrated with photos, drawings, reviews, etc.
In the case of time-based documentation (audio / video / etc.) we ask you to indicate one piece (or part) that you absolutely want to be viewed or listened to by the admission committee.
Digital documentation should run on both Mac and PC. You are requested to use common file formats: jpeg, gif, tiff, pdf, mp3, wav, aiff, flv, quicktime (mov), avi, txt, rtf, word (doc/docx/odt), powerpoint (ppt/pptx/odp)
Master’s candidates should fill in the online admission form on the www.koncon.nl website. A copy of the candidate’s passport, a visa (when applicable), a copy of relevant diplomas, a passport style photo, and email address and phone number should be included with the materials sent for the entrance exam. All written materials should be in Dutch or English.
We are aware that the conservatoire asks you to make a Wetransfer submission. We nevertheless want you to prepare the Dropbox submission for us as well.
We ask you to prepare two separate submissions: one digital submission and one physical submission by post.
The digital submission should include:
- your letter of motivation
- your resume (curriculum vitae)
- your portfolio
- your research proposal including the (audiovisual) sketches
- a scanned version of your official documents
- a digital passport style photo with a minimum vertical resolution of 600 pixels
We ask you to prepare a Dropbox folder with all the material inside of it. Once your material is complete we ask you to send us a link to the folder. We explicitly don’t want you to share the folder with us. Please send the Dropbox link to the Interfaculty coordinator (Leonie Zweekhorst).
For more information:
Once your digital submission is complete you’ll be invited for an admission interview. European candidates are expected to be physically present at this interview, for candidates outside of Europe we will propose a Skype meeting.
If you have any questions regarding the ArtScience programme and/or the admission process please contact the Interfaculty coordinator (Leonie Zweekhorst).
Deadline for submission of your digital application is 4 weeks before the entrance exam interview.
Data entrance exam interviews :
Note : admission deadline for Non EU candidates is May 1st !
In case you can’t meet the submission deadline we ask you to contact the Interfaculty coordinator