The KABK has a very well-equipped (media)library. The book collection consists of titles in, amongst others, the disciplines of Fine Art, Architecture, Photography, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Philosophy, Art Observation, History and Art/Cultural History.
To remain up to date in all disciplines, the library has subscriptions to approximately 80 magazines. The media library consists of DVDs and CD-ROMs. DVDs and CDs can be watched in the library itself. The computers in the library are connected to the internet. To use the library and its facilities the following appplies:
- use of the library is free
- only students and employees of the academy can borrow books etc, using their student or staff member card
- the student card is available at the Student Administration office, the staff member card at the Financial Administration office
- Books and magazines are due back after 3 weeks
- It is possible to reserve library material free of charge
- DVDs are not lent out but can be watched in the academy or in the library itself
- If borrowed material is returned late, you will be asked to pay a fine
- If the material has been damaged or lost, the damage must be refunded
- Mobile phones are not allowed in the library.
Marcel van Bommel (librarian), telephone (070) 3154798, firstname.lastname@example.org
Annemarie van den Berg, telephone (070) 3154799, email@example.com
Jolanda van Os, firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening hours library
Monday to Wednesday 08.30 – 20.00
Thursday and Friday 08.30 – 17.30
Use of the Leiden University Libraries and the National Library in The Hague
The Royal Academy of Art emphasizes and recognizes the importance of research in Art. Next to using our own excellently equipped library, students and staff can also make use of the services of Leiden University Libraries (UBL) and the National Library of The Netherlands in The Hague (KB).
National Library (KB)
Students of the Royal Academy of Art receive a 50% discount on their KB membership (€ 7,50 per year). KB membership allows online access to all digital collections and services of the National Library.
More information and subscription form.
Leiden University Libraries (UBL)
Membership for the UBL is free for our students. (Staff of the Royal Academy can obtain a library membership for €30,- per year).
To request a LU-Card:
- Go to the help desk at one of the UBL locations (The Library Learning Centre Campus The Hague at Schouwburgstraat 2 is the nearest library location to our Academy.)
- Bring your personal identification (passport, ID-card or Dutch driver’s licence) and proof of your current residential address (e.g a bank statement). Should you (still) qualify for free membership please bring proof of eligibility
- Log in to the Catalogue with your account
- Select the location you want your items to be delivered (e.g. Schouwburgstraat 2, The Hague)
- Requests for items done before 16.00 can be picked up from the lockers in the LCC after 14:00. Requests made after 16.00 can be picked up after two days from 14:00.
- Full access to e-journal, e-books and databases is only possible within one of the UBL locations.