|NL / EN
Fine Arts (full-time and part-time)
More information on the study programme Fine Arts (ba)
• Works of students and alumni are on show.
• Go on a tour along the department studios, darkrooms and editing rooms.
• Want some feedback on your portfolio? Come to the portfolio talks in room PD102.
• Come and see what the annual Networkweek is about! We present a short film in room PB101.
• Come to the Masterclass Portrait Photography and have your portrait taken here!
More information on the study programme Photography (ba)
During the Open Day you are welcome for a speeddate with various tutors and students to show and discuss your own work. You can listen to a series of lectures and presentations by students, alumni and tutors who talk about their workflow and career so far. And of course, you can see all the work by our students exhibited in the Printed Media, Digital Media or Publication spaces. There are many students and tutors of our department present who are more than willing to explain their work. You can even buy some of the work by our students and graduates in the unique Pop-Up Store!
Activities at Graphic Design
• speedates: show your own work to students and tutors of the Graphic Design department
• lectures and presentations: students and tutors present their work
• pop-up store: buy work of students and tutors
• letterpress: workshop with tutor Sanne Beeren and students
• riso: workshop with tutor Jordi van den Nieuwendijk and students
More information on the study programme Graphic Design (ba)
• Meet and greet IMD lecturers, students and alumni throughout the entire day.
• Want some feedback on your portfolio? Come to the portfolio talks in room ....(Info will follow)
• Alumni Sonja Volmer and Sam van 't Oever present their prize winning projects.
• Special programme in room BB112:
11.00- 12.30 Graduation projects on show
12.30-13.00 WEtec Lab by Anja Hertenberger
13.15 -13.45 IM3D by Coen Brasser & Wim van Eck
14.00-14.30 Lecture Photography by Maartje Fliervoet
14.45 -15.15 Visualisations in IMD by Johan Gustavsson
15.30-16.00 Connecting the Dots by Jonathan Looman
More information on the study programme Interactive/Media/Design (ba)
· Come and see the growth curve from work of the 1st years until the graduation year in the exhibition '(Dis)connect/Always On'.
· Alumni Andrea Roelofse, Daniël van Dijck, Steven van Beijeren, Gabriël Holysz, Dirk Gonzalez Veugelers, Cindy Meeldijk and Nynke Koster present their (prizewinning) works.
· Want feedback on your portfolio? Come to the Speed Date sessions in Lectorium room PC108.
· Get an impression of our assignments and the careers of interior architects and furniture designers in our Pecha Kucha lectures in Lectorium room PC108.
· Get to know everything about the Research Labs ‘How Agricultural Machinery Define a Landscape' and 'Dept. Of What If: The Age of Old' by teachers Krijn Christiaansen, Catelijne Montens, Arne Hendriks and Ronald van Tienhoven.
· Teacher Ernie Mellegers invites all students, teachers and visitors to experience a huddle: a fast and informal opportunity to share and discuss a theme with a group.
· Throughout the day: film projections with for instance the film BACK STAGE ON STAGE, a presentation of the KABK at the international renowned design fair Salone del Mobile in Milan, April 2014.
· Tours throughout the department start in the main entrance hall.
Interior Architecture and Furniture Design will present the exhibition '(Dis)connect/Always On' during the Open Day 2015. The exhibition displays the growth curve from work of the 1st years until the graduation year - and beyond.
Students from all years work with assignment based on the year theme (Dis)connect/Always On and reflect upon our continuously 'connected' life. How can they contribute to the ramifications of cyber space in the physical world as critical designers?
Besides the students projects there will also be work of several alumni graduated in 2014, such as Andrea Roelofse, Daniël van Dijck, Steven van Beijeren, Gabriël Holysz, Dirk Gonzalez Veugelers, Cindy Meeldijk and Nynke Koster who graduated in 2012 and 2013.
Inside what we call the Lectorium (PC108) teachers and 4th year students will hold Speed Dating sessions with future students. If you are thinking of applying for next year, it’s possible to show your portfolio and get an idea of a study at our department. These Speed Dating sessions will be alternated in the same room with Pecha Kucha lectures: ultra-short dynamic lectures by students and alumni in which one can get an impression of our assignments and the careers of interior architects or furniture designers.
10.00 - 16.00 Open Day Exhibition (PD105 + PC104) Exhibition of all years students work + alumni. Students and teachers will be present to inform visitors about student work and the curriculum.
10.30 - 14.30 Tours students standing at the main entrance Students guide visitors through the exhibition spaces, our department, classrooms and different workshops.
10.30 - 15.30 Speed Dating in Lectorium (PC108) As a future student you get the chance to speed date with a teacher or 4th year student and get feedback on your portfolio. Please sign up! Send an email to: email@example.com and include your name and previous education. Bring your portfolio and make a strong selection of 2D and 3D work that show what kind of designer you are.
11.30 - 12.00 IAFD in Lectroium (PC108) Teacher Aura Luz Melis talks about the curriculum and disciplines Interior Architecture and Furniture Design
12.00 - 15.30 Pecha Kucha lectures in Lectorium (PC108) Teachers, alumni and students present their own work and assignments by means of 20 images, each displayed for 20 seconds. This lecture concept is used by designers worldwide to show their work in a dynamic way.
12.20 and 13.15 Research Lab Lectures in Lectorium (PC108)
1. Teachers Krijn Christiaansen en Cathelijne Montens present the Research Lab for semester 2 ‘How Agricultural Machinery Define a Landscape'
2. Teachers Arne Hendriks and Ronald van Tienhoven present the Research Lab of semester 1 'Dept. Of What If: The Age of Old'
15.30 - 16.00 Huddle in Lectorium (PC108) Teacher Ernie Mellegers invites all students, teachers and visitors to experience a Huddle: a fast and informal opportunity to share and discuss a theme with a group. This could be some specific news, a fantastic plan or project, recent discovery from one’s own practice, a movie or an urgent request for feedback regarding research.
10.00 - 16.00 Film projections (continuously shown in black box at PC104) KABK Back Stage On Stage at Salone del Mobile Milan 2014 Film work of students
More information on the study programme Interior Architecture and Furniture Design (ba)
More information on the study programme INSIDE Interior Architecture (ma)
• Wander around the weaving workshop and see what a laser cutter can do.
• Witness machine demonstrations in the colour lab.
• Join an open lesson at the Textile department.
More information on the study programme Textile & Fashion (ba)
• Come and see the results of the first semester course Design and Meaning.
• Want some feedback on your portfolio? Come to the portfolio talks in room PD117.
• Lecturers and students are present to answer all your questions.
• General talks at 11am, 1pm and 3pm in room PD117.
• Alumni Project Presentations
- Camila Fix, Brazil ESTEEM Steamer set
HEMA ontwerpwedstrijd 2014 nominatie publieksprijs Esteem is een stomerset met een hedendaagse en speelse stijl voor dagelijks gebruik. Met het gebruik van Esteem bespaar je tijd, energie en geld. Op een pan met kokend water leg je op de speciale deksel je eten, wat dan gestoomd wordt.
- Tim Keijzers, Nederland Afgestudeerd met bestek “Hap”, 2013
Bij het ontwerp was het doel de overgang van het handvat naar het snijvlak, het handvat met de kom en het handvat met de tanden zo natuurlijk te maken, dat er eigenlijk geen sprake meer is van een overgang. Bij het ontwerpen liet hij zich inspireren door open volumes. Door te spelen met uitsparingen en restvormen zijn nieuwe lijnen en verbindingen binnen het bestek ontstaan. Eenheid en herkenbaarheid door materiaal weg te happen.
- Lilian van Daal, Nederland Afgestudeerd 2014, BIOMIMICRY, 3D printed soft seat
The production and assembly process of soft seating (couches) is normally far from sustainable: it is made from various materials prepared for assembly in different factories. It is also difficult to recycle the various parts. With BIOMIMICRY: 3D PRINTED SOFT SEAT Lilian van Daal thought of a new concept to make the production of soft seating more sustainable through 3D printing.
- Wouter Siewerts, Nederland. Afgestudeerd 2012, Opwindbaar speelgoed voor de openbare ruimte ERIK
Erik (het beest) wordt geplaatst in openbare ruimten als de hal van een museum, theater, stadhuis, etc.. Kinderen passeren en zien hem staan, ze raken geïnteresseerd en gaan op onderzoek uit. Wat is dat, wat kan ik daar mee? Je kan hem opwinden en er vervolgens op rijden. Het gaat niet ver en ook niet snel maar de bewegingen zijn heel dynamisch en spannend. In de vormgeving heb ik een kruising gezocht tussen dier en machine.
More information on the study programme Industrial Design Post Graduate Course
• Combining high school with studying at an art academy? Learn all about it today.
• Open classes for you to attend. If you like, you are able to register right away!
• (Inter)national students from the Preparatory Year show their works and their lecturers will answer all your questions.
More information on the study programme Preparatory courses
• Watch Janneke Wesseling’s recorded lecture How Do Artists Think?, previously shown in Museum Boijmans van Beuningen alongside the exhibition Beauty in Science.
• Presentation of Thesis Lab The Artist as Researcher as Writer as Artist. Winnie Koekelbergh interviews students about the relation between their work and their thesis research.
More information on the Research Department Art Theory & Practice
• Come to the presentation of designer Danne Ojeda and learn all about her PhD research project, entitled B.O.O.K - Basic Object of Knowledge.
Starting at 11.30 in room BB105.
More information on the programme PhDArts
• Get inspired by 1000 things! Presentation of the website 1000things.org
More information on the activities of Studium Generale
• Join the introduction lecture of the 1st year course Research & Discourse on a current issue in Art Theory. From 13:00 to 15:00 by Maarten Cornel in room BB105.
More information on the study programme Research & Discourse
• Find out how our Research Labs will nurture your studies!
• Come to the presentation of WEtec Lab by Anja Hertenberger and Cocky Eek (I/M/D and ArtScience), ALEPH Lab by Renske van Dam (I/M/D) and of What If/The Age Of Old by Arne Hendriks and Ronald van Tienhoven.
More information on the Individual Study Track
• Want to study at an art academy and a university at the same time? Learn all about the possibilities of taking courses (electives) at Leiden University while studying at the Royal Academy of Art The Hague
More information on the Academy of Creative and Performing Arts
Visit the workshops, from textile to lithography & 3D printing.
1 - Textile workshop: Students work on their creations.
2 - Metal workshop: Demonstration of a variety of state-of-the-art machines.
3 - Wood workshop: Learn all about the CNC machines.
4 - Computer workshop: We welcome you in our internet café & VJ workshop by Ference Molnar.
5 - Type workshop: Make your own letter design!
6 - Photographic Techniques: Get acquainted with 150 years old techniques.
7 - 3D Lab: Scan & print yourself in 3D!
8 - Etching & lithography Workshop: Etching by Gert Jan Forrer.
9 - 10 - 11 Sculpture Workshop: Plaster Casting by Fine Arts lecturer André Kruysen.
12 - Multimedia: Visit our high-end studios.
13 - Photography: Find your way in the darkroom.